I wrote a pulseaudio backend for MOC, mainly just to see if I could. Given how widespread pulseaudio is these days you might like to add this, as it gives slightly nicer integration with pulseaudio's mixer, and maybe some efficiency improvements. So I figured I'd upload it somewhere.
As it looks like I cannot attach files here I've put the patch up on http://marienz.net/m/moc-pulse.patch . This should apply to current svn MOC (I'm running a checkout from 2012-05-01, revision 2425).
The code seems to be stable (I've been using it for months), regular playback works fine, but the UI and seeking behave a little oddly because this backend has a much higher latency than MOC is used to. There are some workarounds in the code to counter this (explained in the comments). The user-visible problem is that small seeks do not work right.
I'll try to keep an eye on this forum for feedback/bug reports/etc.