2.4.0-alpha2: WMA and UTF8

Here is another unstable release. The hardest change for me was the UTF8 support. Please comment if you have problems with it. WMA is also here, but seeking does not work. Tilo Stritzky helped me porting MOC to OpenBSD, so this release should compile under OpenBSD 3.8.

Full list of changes:

  • Support for WMA and RealAudio using FFmpeg (seeking does not work!).
  • Moving items up and down: u and j commands.
  • UTF-8 support.
  • MOC can now be compiled under OpenBSD. Thanks to Tilo Stritzky for pointing out the issues.
  • Added darkdot theme. (David Lazar )
  • Strip leading and trailing white characters from URLs entered by user.
  • Added FollowPlayedFile option: menu follows the currently played file so that it is scrolled if the file is outside the visible part (default to yes).
  • Tags cache saved to a file on exit and read at startup.
  • Added a command for adding a URL to the playlist using entry (CTRL-u).
  • Count speex time without scaning the whole file.
    Display the current time for internet streams.


$ mocp
FATAL_ERROR: Can't send() int to the server.

What is your OS?

Can you run mocp -D and send me mocp_server_log and mocp_client log files (daper at daper dot net)?

Damian Pietras - MOC developer

OS is GNU/Linux 2.4.30 (slackware). the latter is in your inbox.

i have found out that wma support is compiled only if ffmpeg-configure script exists. since this is debian-only thing it cannot be installed on different distribution. could you please fix this?
thank you. joe

I didn't know that. Thanks for the information, I'll fix it.

Damian Pietras - MOC developer

thank you. do you think you could meet me on irc? irc.freenode.net, nick is jose171181. feel free to private msg me.

I'm on #ffmpeg.

Damian Pietras - MOC developer

I have a setup where I created my playlist by choosing a directory and recursively adding it.

Sometimes, I'm not exactly sure how to reproduce it, entire directories disappear from the playlist. When I restart the client (NOT the server, even!) they will reappear. It might have to do with the Search capability, but I only notice the problem when using it (because I'm looking for a particular song and it has suddenly disappeared.)

I know this isn't much of a lead, but the behavior was not like this in 2.3.3... I am willing to provide any info to help, because I really like the UTF-8 support :)

I've never seen that, and can't reproduce it now, but I'll watch my playlist now carefully. If you come to any way to reproduce it, please inform me.

Damian Pietras - MOC developer

OK, I have it reproducable. I am not going to touch anything, if you can get on IRC somewhere, I will share a screen session with you and you can play with it, because it's very weird behavior. for example, if you can't find what you're looking for, sometimes you can just scroll up a little bit and it reappears again.

You can contack me using Jabber (daper at daper dot net) or on irc, irc.debian.org, nick Daper.
Damian Pietras - MOC developer

Seeking within the limitations of the FFmpeg libraries has been
implemented and committed to SVN as r2406.